Maybe your pipes have burst and your basement is flooding. Maybe your water heater has broken down. Or maybe your drains are clogged and the toilet is now overflowing. Whatever your plumbing disaster, Valley Plumbing Pros is here to help you. We know good help is hard to find, and in the middle of a crisis, it can be even more stressful. That’s why we want to share with you how to handle a plumbing emergency, and how to avoid a disaster completely with routine drain cleaning and water heater maintenance.
Want to know more about our work? Be sure to visit our reviews page to hear homeowners in your area!
How to Handle a Plumbing Emergency
Your home’s plumbing system is made up of appliances, fixtures, water supply lines, and drains. There’s a lot that can go wrong with this complex network of pipes. When disaster strikes, it can be hard to know what to do. Unless you’re a professional plumber, you might not know how to repair a plumbing emergency. But there are things you can probably do to mitigate the risk of damage to your home, or of harm to you and your family.
Here are some common plumbing emergencies and how to handle them:
- Burst Pipes: Pipes can burst when the temperature drops below freezing. To avoid this, let one tap drip and insulate your pipes. If a pipe does burst, shut off the water supply using the main water shutoff. This will stop the leaking of water and further water damage. Look for a shutoff that is closer to the leak, if possible. Seal the broken pipe, if you can, and call a plumber for burst pipe repair.
- Sump Pump Stops Working: The sump pump keeps the basement from flooding by pumping excess water away from the house. If the pump stops working, the sump may overflow and flood your basement. A battery-powered backup pump is useful to have in case of power outages.
- Overflowing Toilet: If the toilet is overflowing, the first step is to stop flushing! Use a snake or plunger to see if the blockage can be removed. If the clog is too difficult to remove, you may have to call a plumber for emergency clogged drain repair.
- Water Heater Quits: The sudden lack of hot water is inconvenient and can actually be detrimental to the health and well-being of your family. Unfortunately, unless you’re handy and knowledgeable about water heaters, you will have to hire a plumber for a repair or replacement.
When to Seek Professional Drain Cleaning
Having your drains professionally cleaned once a year is good plumbing maintenance practice. A professional drain cleaning company has the equipment and experience to quickly and thoroughly clean all the drains in your home, even all the way down to the main sewer line. But how do you know if you need your drains cleaned?
If your drains are slow and sluggish or are gurgling and glugging, you probably have a lot of buildup in your pipes. Household clogs are often formed of grease, soap residue, hair, food waste, paper products, and other solid materials that can be tough to budge. A professional drain cleaning will have the water flowing through your pipes like new.
Common Signs a Water Heater Needs Repair
As mentioned above, when your water heater suddenly breaks down, it could be considered a plumbing emergency. To prevent that happening, have your water heater inspected and maintained annually. Professional water heater maintenance will extend the life of your appliance and save you money in the long run.
How will you know if your water heater needs repair? Look for these signs:
- Unexplained spikes in electric or gas bill
- Cloudy or rust-colored water
- Thumping or banging inside the tank
- Rust or hard water buildup on the outside of the tank
- Leaks and puddles underneath the water heater
- It takes a long time for the water to get hot
- There is not enough hot water for the household
- It is more than 10 years old
- It needs frequent and expensive repairs
Ready to upgrade your water heater? Be sure to visit our coupons page for the latest specials and savings on new installations.
Choose Valley Plumbing Pros for Emergency Plumbing Service
Valley Plumbing Pros has been serving Tracy, CA, and the Central Valley for over a decade. Upfront pricing and outstanding customer service is our calling card. Our technicians are experienced with drain cleaning, clogged drain repair, water heater maintenance, hot water tank replacement, and much more. Your satisfaction is guaranteed!